How we use your information
In carrying out these functions, we collect, use and share information about people. We do so in the following principal areas of our work:
· managing claims against the NHS on behalf of the members of our risk-pooling schemes;
· dealing with disputes arising from dentists, GPs, pharmacists and opticians about decisions made by commissioners of healthcare which affect their contracts with the NHS;
· helping to resolve concerns about the professional practice of doctors, dentists and pharmacists in the UK; and
· sharing lessons from claims with NHS care providers to help improve safety.
We may share personal information across the NHS LA where this is necessary for the performance of the statutory functions or where it is in the overriding public interest.
In processing personal information, we will:
· collect only the appropriate amount of personal information required for us to fulfil the statutory functions effectively;
· consider the privacy risks when we are planning to use or hold personal information in new ways, such as when introducing new systems;
· not keep personal information for longer than is necessary;
· protect personal information and restrict access to it within the NHS LA on a ‘need to know’ basis;
· provide training to staff who handle personal information, and respond appropriately if personal information is not used or protected properly; and
· share personal information with third parties only where this is appropriate and it is lawful to do so.
We contract with third parties to provide services and/or to carry out certain activities for us. Where we provide them with personal information to enable them to carry out work for us, we ensure that they are supplied with only the appropriate amount of personal information, that it is used only in accordance with our instructions, and that there are suitable security arrangements in place.
The purpose of this privacy notice is to explain how we collect, use and, where applicable, share your personal information depending on your relationship to the NHS LA. The links below contain further details about our processing of personal information in these areas:
For the sake of clarity and concision, this privacy notice does not provide comprehensive detail of all aspects of our collection, use and sharing of personal information. We are happy to provide additional explanation on our processing of personal information should this be required. If you would like any such additional explanation, please contact the Information Access Manager.