The NHS LA was established in 1995 as a Special Health Authority.
We are a not-for-profit part of the NHS.
We provide indemnity cover for legal claims against the NHS, assist the NHS with risk management, share lessons from claims and provide other legal and professional services for our members.
To find out more about who we are and what we do, click here.
To find out more about our Three Year Plan, click here.
What we do Managing Claims
· We manage claims against the NHS on behalf of our members
· We settle justified claims fairly and quickly
· We defend unjustified claims robustly, helping to protect NHS resources
· We aim to provide indemnity cover directly to independent providers of NHS care from April 2013
Resolving disputes and claims
· We help the NHS to resolve disputes and claims fairly and cost effectively
· We resolve 96% of claims out of court to keep legal costs low
Helping the NHS to manage risk and reduce claims
· We set standards for safe care and assess NHS providers against these
· We share learning from claims to help improve safety in the NHS
· By ensuring members' contributions are fair and reflect risk we encourage them to provide safer care that reduces claims
· We provide legal and professional advice to the NHS and to the Department of Health on a range of issues, including equal pay and age discrimination
Family Health Services Appeal Unit
We resolve contract disputes between health practitioners (including GPs, dentists, pharmacists and opticians) and their local primary care decision making body. This work is carried out by the Family Health Services Appeal Unit (FHSAU).
FHSAU maintain a list of primary care health practitioners in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland who have had restrictions placed on their work.
National Clinical Assessment Service (NCAS)
The National Clinical Assessment Service (NCAS), became an operating division of the NHS LA in April 2013. NCAS helps resolve concerns about the professional practice of doctors, dentists and pharmacists in the UK.
How to make a complaint about the NHS Litigation Authority (NHS LA)
We try to work in a professional, fair and courteous way at all times. We recognise, however, that things can go wrong and we encourage anyone who wishes to make a complaint to talk to their contact at the NHS LA who may be able to deal with your complaint quickly. If that is not possible, or you remain dissatisfied with your response please contact the Corporate Governance Manager at email@example.com who can advise you about how you may want to pursue your complaint. To view out full complaints policy please click here.